Over the last few months, we’ve been tying up a few loose ends with the RepoData project. These have included:
- finalizing all the state data (https://github.com/tanseyem/RepoData)
- working with our friends Ed Summers and Hillel Arnold to aggregate the state data into CSV and JSON files in our github repository
- creating publicly-accessible documentation about the project (https://osf.io/cft8r/)
I’m happy to announce that we’ve finally completed the last step – making all the data available in a publicly accessible map (https://arcg.is/15mC55). Don’t worry – the actual map does include Alaska and Hawaii!
All told, the Repository Data project gathered 25,000+ data points. Over 18,000 are depicted in the map linked above. We did not include mailing addresses or repositories without street addresses in the map above (since neither are geocodable).
Ultimately we would like to ensure that someone takes over long-term stewardship of the RepoData data set, and we’d love to eventually see the data integrated into a map similar to MuseumStat (http://museumstat.org). Unfortunately, Society of American Archivists (the original funders of the grant which allowed us to create RepoData) is not currently in a position to take over maintenance of the data set, but perhaps this might change in the future. In the mean time, we remain interested in hearing from the larger archivist community about how we might maintain this data and how you are using it.